Benefits to Self Hosting Streaming Video
Self hosting of streaming videos is an option when using custom hosting services, or for those who also want to be the system administractor cloud services.
The benefits of self hosting streaming videos include but are not limited to:
- Branding: Brands may be best served by hosting their own videos on their own site where they have content control and don't have competing brands.
- Blue Ocean: Youtube wants people to stay on their site and watch lots of videos; it is their business model. Any video or live stream on YouTube will also have choices for the viewer to watch other videos. Not a bad thing, but may be a distraction to other channels that does not suit the content producers needs.
Content Control: While youtube provides streaming video they exist to make money from advertisers and their software selects which advertisers. Not all advertisers
like all forms of videos which are of interest to others.
- News and current events: Although provided by the news channels on youtube may be deemed as inapprioate by Youtube even though they are tamer than what exists on youtube via the network feeds.
- Political or videos that effect the public opinion: Many advertisers may want to aviod topics that are political or they hold different political or public opinions.
- Bogus copyright claimes: There exists those who are so passionate about a topic that they will attempt to have YouTube remove the content they don't like by flagging it as a copyright violation even though the content is the opinion of one person and no content other than that person stating his opinion is in the video. Such claims can prevent the content creator from using their channel for a period of time.
- Distribution Control: When you use a service such as YouTube you also agree to the terms that they can distribute it as they like. This includes placing ads on it and agreeing to their terms of service for usage on other sites.